Antroxu is the Asturian word for Carnival, which is a festival of regional tourist interest. It starts with the traditional “Jueves de Comadres” (Thursday of the fellow women). It is a very popular women’s celebration in which women take the streets of Gijon to celebrate and enjoy the local gastronomy.
During this Carnival edition, the XXXI Contest of Charangas and the XXX Contest of Carriages will be held. The great Antroxu Street Parade is celebrated on Monday. The celebration ends on Tuesday with the reading of the testament and the burial of the Sardine. The restaurants all over Gijon offer special Menus of Antroxu made with typical gastronomic products of these dates.
The credit for the Antroxu 2018 poster this year goes to Cristobal Aguilo Dominguez.
• XXVI Children Costume Contest: Registration open Sunday 11th February from 15:00 to 16:00 at the Jovellanos Theater with the contest starting at 16:30.
• XXIV Children’s Costume Parade ( for groups): One ticket will be provided per participant on the 9th February at the Jovellanos Theater box office with a maximum of two tickets per person. There will be a sample representation with maximum of 5 members per group at the stage of Jovellanos Theater on Saturday 10th February at noon. The street parade will take place on Sunday 11th February from 12:30 with the itinerary to be confirmed.
• XXXI Charangas Contest: The show will take place on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th February at Jovellanos Theater from 19:00. Tickets available at the box office from Thursday 8th February at 9:30.
• XXX Contest of Carriages: The Carnival street parade will take place on Monday 12th February through the streets of Gijon city center from 19:00. The itinerary to be confirmed.
• Jury’s decision and award ceremony will take place on Tuesday 13th February at Paseo de Begoña from 18:00.
Enjoy the Antroxu!!!